Alexander Park, from 1868 to the future.
Alexandra Park is one of Manchester’s earliest and most intact Victorian Parks. In 1995 the park was listed Grade 2 on the English Heritage Register of Parks and Gardens. Owned and managed by Manchester City Council, it is situated two miles south of the city centre alongside Princess Road, one of the city’s main arterial routes. Alexandra Park is at the meeting point of three districts – Whalley Range, Hulme and Moss Side – and is surrounded by a rich and ethnically diverse local community.
The 60-acre site for the Park was bought by Manchester Corporation and work began developing the park in 1868. A public design competition was ran for Alexandra Park which was to be built on formal agricultural land and allow workers in Manchester’s burgeoning industrial mills to escape the ‘deleterious effects of smoke and vapour’.